BALTGEN-L Archives

Archiver > BALTGEN > 2007-08 > 1187705431

From: "Jean Johnson" <>
Subject: Re: [BALTGEN] Baltimore Orphan Asylum
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:10:31 -0400

This link called List of Early Orphanages (mid 1800s-early 1900s)
states Baltimore Orphan Asylum was a Baptist organization. If this is
true, I wonder whether your German ancestor was there. He would have
more likely been at German Orphan Asylum or a Catholic or Lutheran
asylum.

Another mention of Baltimore Orphan Asylum is at Maryland State
Archives but unfortunately it doesn't look like they have 1880
records, only the 1900 or so records
http://www.mdhistoryonline.net/mdmedicine/cfm/dsp_hospitalinfo.cfm?id=106

General German Orphan Asylum was located at 224 Aisquith St., Baltimore, Md.

Anderson, Patricia Dockman. "Inmates of the German Orphans Asylum,
Aisquith St., Baltimore, MD." MGSB 32 (2) 152-155.

MGSB is MD Genealogical Society Bulletin. It is at Md State Archives,
as well as other locations such as Enoch Pratt Library, Maryland
Historical Society.

You did not mention your husband's gggrandfather's name. Did you find
it on an 1880 census at Baltimore Orphans Asylum? That would rule out
German Orphans Asylum or any Catholic or Lutheran asylums

Jean.