CALLAHAN-L Archives

Archiver > CALLAHAN > 1998-08 > 0903892824

From: <>
Subject: Re: [CALLAHAN-L] County Cork Callaghan's
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 13:20:24 EDT

To Frank and Sherry:

I have some info on a Mary Ellen CALLAHAN. She is my Grandmothers older
sister.

This is from a 1900 census For the State of New York, Kings County, City of
New York, Borough of Brooklyn.

Father: Peter Francis CALLAHAN b. March 1855, Ireland
Mother: Honora Rose O'KEEFFE b. Feb. 1862, Ireland
Children: 1. Ann Theresa CALLAHAN b. April 1880, Kilmacthomas, Co.
Waterford
2. Mary Ellen CALLAHAN b. Aug. 1881, Kilmacthomas, Co.
Waterford
3. Rose CALLAHAN b. Oct. 1882, Ireland
4. John J. CALLAHAN b. Apr. 1885, Ireland
5. James F. CALLAHAN b. Feb. 1888, New York
(Grandma) 6. Eleanor CALLAHAN b. July 27, 1891, Statin Island, New York
7. Vincent CALLAHAN b. Jan. 1896, New York
8. George F. CALLAHAN b. Aug. 1898, New York

Peter and Honora (AKA Nora) were married on 12, May 1879 at the Church of
Newtown, Newtown County Waterford, Ireland and were residing in Kilmacthomas,
County Waterford, Ireland at that time. I visited that church last Sept.
(1997). I saw the Baptismal records at that church for the first two
children. Mary Ellen's Godparents were Edmond Kirwan & Margaret O'CALLIHAN.
Mary Ellen was also known as Minnie. She married an Edgar SEYMOUR.

The Parents of Peter Francis O'CALLIHAN were John O'CALLIHAN and Ann SUTTON.
The Parents of Honora Rose O'KEEFFE were James O'KEEFFE and Ellen ROACHE.

I have the Catholic Marriage record of Peter and Honora, and I have both of
their Death Certificates.

Peter immigrated to the US in 1885, Honora immigrated in 1886 with their first
four children.

I have yet to discover where in Ireland Peter and Honora were born, but
probably it was Co. Cork as that is where the predominance of O'Callahan and
O'Keeffe surnames are.

I hope this helps you.

Kathleen ()

This thread: