GAMORGAN-L ArchivesArchiver > GAMORGAN > 2002-12 > 1040190914
Subject: [GAMORGAN] Re: Any Information...Swords United Methodist Church
Date: 17 Dec 2002 22:55:14 -0700
This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
Message Board URL:
Message Board Post:
The following is from "Morgan County Georgia Heritage 1807-1997."
The Swords United Methodist Church was established in 1912. The people had been going to meetings at Oconee Church in Greene County and Buckhead.
The land for the church was given by Mr. John "Buck" Swords, then the community with his workers, built the church and parsonage. The church is a country Gothic structure. The house was quite adequate, but in later years a house in Apalachee was chosen for the parsonage. The old parsonage is now a lovely dwelling house.
Earlier the community was known as Blue Springs, but was changed to Swords. Now so many people have gone, Swords no longer has the store with a bank and post office, the depot, mill house, and all the houses, but the church still stands.
Submitted by: Wenonah Martin Micham