JANEWAY-L Archives

Archiver > JANEWAY > 2002-12 > 1039463883

From: (by way of Charles Mayfield <>)
Subject: [JANEWAY] Re: Janeway tree (Oklahoma)
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 13:58:03 -0600

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/VGl.2ACIB/1.2.50.1.1.1.1.1

Message Board Post:

I have a lot more data than I should post. I'll
send detail in several personal emails to you.

Here's the line I have from a couple of books back
to 1536. I can fill in the side details, but for
time mostly giving you the direct line and dropping
other wives, children, etc. "Way back" the name
was spelled different ways, three different ones
by one of the Vicars in his own church records!
I'm typing this from the books, so I may have a
typo or miss a date here or there.

** John Janeway abt 1536 - 1619
Vicar of Manuden, Essex England

m Ellyn ? ?-1614

** William Janeway 1575 - 1626
Vicar of Ulting
Died during London plague helping brother
Andrew (1565-1655), who was the Rector of
All Hallows London Wall church.

m 1600 in Manuden, Joan Arter ?-1627

** William Janeway 1607 - 1654
Rector of Kelshall

m 1630 Mary ? ? - 1679

** William Janeway 1631 - 1668
Rector of Kelshall (appointed after father's death)

m 1658 Cottered, Elizabeth Gardiner 1633 - ?

** William Janeway 1659 - 1708
Purser on HMS Richmond (Capt John Evans) stationed
in NY city for 3 years. Fell in love and married
there, returned to England with ship. Resigned
commision and returned to wife. King gave him
the charter for Trinity church
(Broadway and Wall st) and he helped build the
first one and was a vestryman there. Buried on
the grounds but no marker remains. He bought
land on Manhattan Island from mayor of NY.

m 1696 NY, Agnes De Key

** Jacob Janeway Apr 18, 1707 - Mar 11, 1746 (only child)
b NY d NJ
m 1738 NY, Sarah Hoagland

** William Janeway Sep 11, 1740 - ?
b NJ d NC
Records show him buying/selling land in Johnston
Co NC 1758-1759. He only had one brother, George,
and he stayed in NY. George and his mother had
William declared legally dead and took over the
property in NY. (He had been absent for 7 years
and was assumed lost at sea.)

m ? ?

** Joseph Janeway abt 1761 - before 1830 (only Child)
b NC d TN
buried Strawberry Plains, Jefferson Co, TN

m ? Susan abt 1760 - (alive at 70 in 1830)

** John Janeway 1801 -
b TN d
Born at Strawberry Plains, TN in Jefferson Co.
Moved to McMinn Co; 1830s purchased land in
Monroe Co, near Sweetwater. During 1850s
moved to Kansas Territory near Ft Scott in
what is now Bourbon Co. total of 12 children
with two wives

m July 24 1824 Nancy Sanders at Dandridge TN

** William Janeway Dec 4 1829 - Jan 31 1900
b McMinn Co TN d Moore Oklahoma
(buried Moore Cemetery, Moore OK)
After marrying Rhoda in 1849, moved to Anderson
Missouri in McDonald Co. Lived at different
times at Fort Scott, Kansas Territory, Madison
Co, Arkansas, near Huntsville, and settled in
Paul's Valley, OK, Indian Territory. They were
the fourth white family in the Valley and this
is where the family grew up.

m Jul 12 1849 Rhoda Elliot b 1831 TN
d Oct 13 1892 buried Pauls Valley Cemetery

** James Albert Janeway 1850 - Jul 31 1896
b Anderson, Missouri d Pauls Valley OK
Moved to Paul's Valley with his parents when he
was a young boy. It was still indian territory
when they moved there from Arkansas. In 1896
he owned and operated the first restaurant and
bakery in Pauls Valley. Martha was a Chickasaw
Indian. They both died of Pneumonia and are buried
at Paul's Valley, Oaklahoma. 7 children

m ? Martha Johnson b ? d Aug 5 1896

** Frank Janeway Sep 29 1894 - ?
b Indian Territory d ?
Moved to Crooked Oak, OK then to California
m Rena Johnson

1 son, Robert Janeway

This thread: