From: joseph macdonald <>
Subject: Re: [NS-CB-L] History of Victoria County.
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:40:45 -0400

Hi Terry;

Indeed there is a book called PATTERSON'S HISTORY OF VICTORIA COUNTY, (ISBN. No.
0-920336-02-7) with related papers compiled and edited by W. JAMES MACDONALD,
1978.

The COLLEGE OF CAPE BRETON PRESS, published it in 1978. Today they are known as
the UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF CAPE BRETON PRESS.

G.G. PATTERSON (1864-1951) wrote the "History of Victoria County" in 1885. W.
James MacDonald up-dated the information and published in 1978.

If and when you come to Cape Breton places that you would concentrate your
search would be
1. The Court House in Baddeck
2. 'Roots', at the Highland Village
3. The Beaton Institute, at UCCB
3. Morrison's Cape North Museum
4. You would also want to visit the area of Middle River and be in touch with
the Middle River Historical Society.

Before you come, there would be certain books that you might want to acquire and
read, either by purchasing or inter-library loan as well as the first book
mentioned.

THE BIBLIOGRAPHY OF VICTORIA COUNTY (ISBN 0-9699231-1-2) by W.James MacDonald
(e-mail <)

MIDDLE RIVER, Past and Present, History of a Cape Breton Community 1806-1985
(ISBN 0-9696854-0-8). There is also an index available for this book.
It's available at the Highland Village, Iona
Roots Cape Breton Genealogy and Resource Centre
Highland Village,
4119 Highway 223, Hector's Point
Iona, Nova Scotia, Canada
B2C 1A3

phone 902-725-2272
Fax 902-725-2227
They accept credit cards.

and also the ' BLUE HERON GIFT SHOP' in Baddeck, (1-902-295-3424).

BIRTH RECORDS of CENTRAL and WESTERN CAPE BRETON ISLAND, N.S. 1820's and 1830's
from the Baptism Records kept by Rev. John MacLennan. This is available through
Mabou Communications Ltd. P.O. Box 250, Mabou, N.S. B0E 1X0 (phone
1-902-945-2227 or fax 1-902-945-2759)
I might also add that these records are included on-line on Prince Edward Island

http://www.islandregister.com/stjohns/stjohns2.html

CAPE NORTH and VICINITY, by Rev. D. MacDonald, D.D. (1933). This book has been
reprinted at various times and has been available at the The Cape North Museum.
Whether it is still available I don't know as my copy is 20 yrs old.

The CENSUS RECORDS FOR VICTORIA COUNTY which are available on line at Cape
Breton Gen-web. Personally I prefer Donald Morrison's printed copies of these
censuses. I don't have Donald's e-mail address (misplaced it) but he can be
reached at P.O. Box 524, Baddeck, Nova Scotia, B0E 1B0 (1-902-295-1013)

You already belong to the Cape Breton List, and by posting your request to the
list, there should be lots of help there for you.

Happy hunting
Juanita MacDonald

Terry Bingham wrote:

> I have heard the mention of a book of the history of Victoria County many
> times. Is there a book or not? I saw in a posting yesterday that it was
> never published. If I came to Cape Breton where would I go to find the
> biggest amount of information to do research on family from Victoria County?
> I am researching the families of Angus Campbell b. 1795-1901. Catherine
> Beaton 1801-1886. Quarrie McQuarrie 1793-1868. Laughlin McQuarrie 1820-1912.
> Mary Campbell 1823-1900 d/o Angus Campbell. Colin Urquhart 1808- 1901. Mary
> MacRae 1822-1914. The McQuarries lived on Laughlin Mountain, Middle River,
> Cape Breton. The Urquhart first lived on Gairloch Mountain, Middle River,
> where Roderick (my great grandfather) was born abt.1845. They later moved
> (Abt.1871) to the Big Intervale, North Cape, Victoria County. If anyone is
> reaching any of these families I would love to share info. I'm in California
> so it makes research a little difficult.
>
> Terry Bingham

This thread: