From: Rod MacPhee <>
Subject: [NS-CB-L] Bishop James Morrison
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 23:31:50 -0400

Hello:
I wonder would anyone know anything about the family of Bishop James Morrison who was Bishop of the Diocese of Antigonish from 1912 to 1944 and Arch-Bishop from 1944 to 1950. He was born in St. Andrew's, PEI on July 9/1861 and his parents were Donald Morrison and Elizabeth Campbell. I've hit a brick wall with my g-g-grandmother, Ann Morrison who was married to Donald MacPhee of the MacPhee Islands and who was supposed to have been from the Cleveland/River Inhabitants area. I was recently told by my mother that Ann was related to Bishop Morrison. She was told this by her own mother who was born in 1888 so there was probably some truth in it. I intend to post a message to the Island Register as well to see if anyone knows anything about Bishop Morrison on that end.
I may as well throw another one out while I'm at it. Would anyone know the origins of the Corbetts from Corbett's Cove near St. Peter's?. Another of my g-g-grandmothers was Mary Corbet(t) married to Donald "Kettle" MacDonald. I was able to get her death certificate from Vital Statistics but basically all it said was that she died on Nov 22/1911 at the age of 92-no parents or other information. There are two Corbet families from that area on the 1871 census but I can't tell if she belonged to either one of them; her youngest son was born around 1845 so she was probably long gone from the old homestead by 1871. Fr. McMillan's East Bay book says that her father may have been Alexander Corbet from Portvat (where's that? I can't seem to find it on any map of Scotland, new or old, and Internet queries also come up empty). However, there were other Corbet(t)s in the St. Peters area: a James, mentioned in 'The Irish in Cape Breton' as being from PEI and working as a mill!
er for Kavenaugh around 1820 and David and William who were in the Grand River area around 1817. Any help would be appreciated.
Rod MacPhee

This thread: