Subject: [NS-CB-L] Obituary for Alexander Grant (Grant/Cameron/Fraser)
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 23:52:13 EDT

When I saw this posted on nsroots, I asked Carolyn Wallace (<A HREF="mailto:">
</A>) for permission to repost on the CB list. Her
reply was:

"Hi Elizabeth, You have my permission to repost anything I post to the
Lists. I am doing this for everyone to share.
Carolyn

*********************************

EASTERN CHRONICLE, NEW GLASGOW,NS- TUES.,11 MAY1920:

   Merchant Tailor in Woburn for Fifty-Eight Years:
   ALEXANDER GRANT, father of Colonel HOMER B. GRANT and for fifty-eight
years a merchant tailor in this city died yesterday afternoon, April 11th,
at his home ,23 Pleasant street. He had been ill for sixteen months.
   Mr.GRANT was 80 years of age, having been born in HOPEWELL, Nova Scotia,
January 13, 1840. He was the son of DONALD and ISABELLA GUNN GRANT.
   He gave the longest service to the public of any business man in the
centre, serving them faithfully from 1860 to till 1918, when he retired. He
was at his bench early and late, fashioning garments according to the
principles of honor and striving with each stitch to impart a bit of his own
strength of character.
   It was under the firm name of  MORELAND and GRANT that he started
buisness so many years ago. This connection lasted but a short time and the
sign on the old store reappeared as ALEXANDER GRANT.
  He was a member of the United Presbyterian Church of Boston and he was an
intimate friend of the Rev.ALEXANDER BLAIKIE, a noted divine, who was head
of the church. He married Dr. Blaikie's niece, MARGARET CAMERON FRASER and
it is a coincidence that 32 years ago today, on April 12,1868, Mrs. GRANT
died.
   ALEXANDER GRANT was an unusually devoted student of the Bible and for
years he had a class at Tremont Temple, making his weekly trips with
regularity.
   He will be remembered as an exemplary citizen, dignified and dependable,
kind and thoughtful. Through his whole life ALEXANDER GRANT gained the
respect of young and old for his high ideals of citizenship, for his
devotion to high standards in all things and his devotion to his church.
   Besides his son, Colonel HOMER B. GRANT, he is survived by one daughter,
Mrs. MORRIS CARTER of Boston; one brother, PETER W. GRANT and three sisters,
MARGARET E.GRANT, MRS. JESSIE BELL MANN and MRS.CATHERINE G. FRASER of Nova
Scotia.
   Funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon at 2:45 in the parlors of
the First Cong. Church.-Woburn Times.

This thread: