From: "Muriel M. Davidson" <>
Subject: [NS-CB-L] Post 1901 Census - Opening of Canada History Centre
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 10:36:51 -0400

To all:-
Will OUR Canadian census records be stored within, without
any restrictions? These records form the foundation of other
facets of Canadian history.
These records and NEW Sea-Kings would be really memorable!
Muriel M. Davidson
Co-Chair, Canada Census Committee
25 Crestview Ave., Brampton, ON L6W 2R8
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~downhome/post1901census.htm

=======================

Greeting All.

This afternoon I received an interesting email from Ian Wilson, National
Archivist of Canada. He advised me of an announcement by Prime
Minister Jean Chrétien regarding the formation of a Canada History Centre.

I have placed on the Post 1901 Census Project website, at the URL
following my signature, new pages in both English and French that
contain the News Release, a Backgrounder, and a speech by the
Prime Minister regarding the formation of this Centre. I would urge
listers to have a look at these pages as there are a number of
interesting comments in them.

>From the News Release:

"The role of this institution will be to increase accessibility of all
Canadians to their history."

"The Canada History Centre will focus on those who have contributed
to the building of Canada and the flourishing of our democracy."

>From the Backgrounder:

"The Canada History Centre will promote debate on Canada's history
from diverse perspectives. It will focus on our leaders, statesmen
and stateswomen and political processes and institutions as well
as on grassroots organizations and people from all walks of life
who have shaped Canada's distinct model of democracy and governance."

>From the speech of the Prime Minister:

"This Centre will soon become the site of one of the most important
meetings in its history: one between Canadians and their shared
past."

"Together Canadians have built a nation that is strong, prosperous
and free. We must know the builders of our nation to sustain what
their mind and hearts, their muscles and their blood, have created."

"We must once again strengthen the ties that bind us together and
the understanding of Canada that we share. Our past must be near
us as we move into the future."

"Listen carefully and you can hear echoes in this magnificent building
. ......... Echoes of immigrants arriving from Pier 21 in Halifax,
some
to stay, some to open up the Canadian West."

"The Canada History Centre will bring to life the memories of men
and women who, through their ideas, their vision and their actions,
inscribed their names on the rolls of our history."

"The new Canada History Centre will open a door to the great wealth
of our history and our heritage........"

I suspect that there are those among us that are willing to point out to
the Prime Minister that while he and the Canada History Centre seek to
promote the history and heritage of the people of Canada, Statistics
Canada and the conditions and restrictions of Bill S-13 seek to do
just the opposite.

Happy Hunting.

Gordon A. Watts
Co-Chair, Canada Census Committee
Port Coquitlam, BC

http://globalgenealogy.com/Census
en français http://globalgenealogy.com/Census/Index_f.htm

Permission to forward without notice is granted.

---