From: "Gerald Duffy" <>
Subject: [NY-TROY-IRISH-GENSOC] Baseball players in Troy, NY
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 16:48:08 -0500

I'm 75 years old and a former minor league baseball player in the Chicago
White Sox farm system. My father, Tom Duffy, was born on Nov. 30, 1874 in
Troy and played semi-pro baseball most of his life. In 1917dad played left
field for the Logan Squares in Chicago and they beat the Chicago White Sox
in 5 games out of 8 after the Sox beat the NY Giants in the World Series.

Recently I finished reading the best book on a period of baseball I've ever
read, written by Cait Murphy, a woman and one of the best sports writers
I've ever read. The title is "Crazy '08".It's the story of the 1908 major
league baseball season, wherin the Chicago Cubs won the World Series with a
double play combination that has gone down in history as "Tinkers to Evers
to Chance".

Johnny Evers was born in Troy, NY on July 21, 1881 and in 1900 he was a
collar shipper in Troy. Cait Murphy brings out a very interesting point in
the book when she said that Troy, NY sent 32 men to the major leagues.
surely a record relative to Troy's size. Two of them, Johnny Evers and King
Kelly, made it to the Baseball Hallof Fame while another 5 who played for
the old Troy team have plaques in Cooperstown.

I have a fond memory for Johnny Evers because he was only 115 pounds when he
played for the Chicago Cubs. I was 120 pounds when I pitched for the
Wisconsin Rapids White Sox in 1950. One of the sports writers up there used
to call me "the blade" because he said they couldn't see me when I turned
sideways.

Hope some of you enjoy Cait Murphy's book. I'd like to know if any of you
are descendants of any of the 32 Troy Major Leaguers.

Gerry Duffy

This thread: