From: "Donna Wilson" <>
Subject: [NY-TROY-IRISH-GENSOC] ROLL CALL
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 15:44:14 -0700

Hi, Fellow TIGS Members,

I am from a little cow town in Elizabeth, Colorado, USA. We have 1 high
school, and three traffic lights!

I have been researching the Browne family from County Tipperary, and would
love some help from any one living near the town of Nanagh or Roscrea.

The first entry in our family's Bible was:

Oliver Browne married Mary Sarah (or Sarah Mary) Grant 1795 in the Diocese
of Cashel and Emly. But I have found nothing else about this first couple.

Their 4th son, Cooper Crawford Browne married Deborah Owens of Roscrea, June
12, 1826. I have discovered they were married by Rev. Cuthbert Fetherstone;
he was appointed Rector of Nanagh, County Tipperary in 1826. Their first 6
children were baptized in Roscrea; info provided by North Tipperary
Genealogy Services for a pretty price!

But I don't know in what church they would have been baptized (they were
Church of England). I can't find where Cooper and Deborah were married,
either, and I would love some help in these 3 areas.

In 1852, Cooper, Deborah, and 2 of their remaining children immigrated to
New York. Cooper and Deborah visit an older daughter, Eliza Jane, who had
come earlier and was a servant to a farming family in Stillwater, New York.
Cooper and Deborah then move to New York City. Later, Eliza Jane joined her
sister, Mary Ellen (Browne) Davis and her new husband, Charles S. Davis, who
were living in Troy.

My family has had roots in Troy/Green Island from that point until sometime
in 1970. Surnames are: Browne, Davis, Gardner, Saner, and Foley. The
Saner and Foley branches are gone now. The Gardner family was large and I
feel strongly there are Gardners in Troy/Green Island who are a part of my
family. I have been trying to find the cemetery where my grandmother is
buried, but with no luck. Her name was Elsie Grace (Gardner) Saner b. 26
May 1899, Green Island d. 8 Aug. 1965, Troy. If anyone knows of her burial
place, I would love to come visit with her.

Thank you very much,
Donna from Colorado

This thread: