From: K Ray <>
Subject: [NY-TROY-IRISH-GENSOC] ROLLCALL Ray, Rea, McCochrane, McAuley,Cairns, Warren
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 16:17:34 -0800 (PST)

Hi folks

Ken Ray
Dunedin, Floirda (originally from Watervliet and Clifton Park)

My Rea's (Ray's) came to America from Rasharkin Parish, County Antrim in 1887.  There were 7 children that made the trip on the boat across the Atlantic and settled in Lansingburgh on 6th Ave.  Robert Rea, my great grandfather, had the family named changed to Ray at the time of his naturalization because it was not pronounced the way it was in Ireland.

The family had many friends and relatives move from the same general vicinity of Ireland to the Troy area.  McCochrane (McCaughern-in Ireland) was my great grandmother's maiden name, and many McCochrane's lived in Troy for many years.  McAuley and Cairns names came through marriages of some of the original Ray's.  Warren was my grandmother's maiden name, Pittstown and Schagticoke were home to many of the Warren's.  The McAuley's had a coffee business on River Street for many years and the Cairns' had a grocery store on broadway, Watervliet for years.

I am looking for the early Rea families of a townland called Ballydonnelly, Rasharkin Parish, County Antrim.  There were 5 Rea farm families all living next to one another there and I can't find the relationship of them all.  My gr, gr grandfather was named Charles Rea and would love to know his father's name and other siblings names.

This thread: