Subject: [NY-TROY-IRISH-GENSOC] ROLL CALL: Dunn, Walsh
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 12:53:45 -0500

Mary Lee Dunn from Southern Maine (Alfred, York County)

I am researching Michael Dunn of Derrymullen, County Kildare, who was born in 1836 and whose parents were Laurence and Mary Connolly Dunn. Derrymullen is located near Robertstown, Prosperous, and the Hill of Allen. Michael and his siblings' births are recorded at the Parish of Allen. Michael was the grandson of Laurence and Mary ____ Dunn and the great grandson of Edward and Catherine ____ Dunn of Mylerstown (part of Robertstown).

Michael emigrated to Troy about 1858 and soon after married Elizabeth Dunne from Carbury in County Kildare at St. Mary's in Troy. She died soon after the birth of their sixth child, about 1873.

Soon after, Michael married Catherine Walsh of Brockagh, County Kildare, in Orange, New Jersey, where his sister Mary lived.?Catherine was the daughter of Walter and Ann Farrell Walsh, who married at Clane about 1840. Her sister Rose Walsh lived in Troy and was married to a Clinton, but Rose died young. Michael and Catherine had eight children.

Twelve of Michael's children lived to adulthood. Early in his years in Troy, Michael worked at Burden Iron Works. In the 1880s, he opened a store in South Troy and ran it until his death, about 1913.

Related names: Clinton, Healy, Barnes, Fitzsimmons, and others. If interested, please see a detailed history under the name Dunn on the TIGS web site.

Someone in an earlier Roll Call posting mentioned Blackwood in Kildare. It is very near where my Dunns lived and is mentioned in letters from Ann Farrell Walsh to her children in America, dated between 1876 and 1886.

I also am interested in and have researched Roscommon immigrants (especially from the parish of Kilglass and townland of Ballykilcline) to Rutland, VT, a number of whom worked in, traded in, married in, or moved to eastern New York, including Albany and Troy. A number of their descendants eventually moved?to the Capital District too. See the Ballykilcline web site at www.ballykilcline.com and/or my book, Ballykilcline Rising / From Famine Ireland to Immigrant America. My father's line was?from Kildare (and Limerick) to?Troy; my mother's from Roscommon to New England.?

This thread: