From: "Tim Hooley" <>
Subject: Re: [NY-TROY-IRISH-GENSOC] Hooley
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 20:07:55 -0500

David through my research the only county (1830) where the maiden name of my
Grandmother (Coffey) and my Grandfather Hooley appeared in great numbers was
in Tipperary.

There were a number of records where my last name was spelled as Howley as
it was on my Grandfather's naturalization records on which he signed with an
"X", and his place of birth listed as Tipperary.
So not able to sign his name, he most likely did not speak English rather
more likely as so many Troy Irish immigrants of the mid 1850s he spoke
Gaelic.So I assume the last name was spelled by transcribers as he had
pronounced it.

But from what I have found the original Hooley clan is more prevalent as
you say in West Cork as they were originally part of the Driscoll clan.