From: "Lynne Sisk" <>
Subject: [NY-TROY-IRISH-GENSOC] Cody connection
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 11:08:57 -0500

I have Ellen Cody (DOB abt.1838) who is the cousin of Margaret Lahy Brennan. Margaret's parents were Michael Lahy and Mary Cody. Ellen was living with the Brennans (West Troy) in 1860 and had a son John (DOB 1858 - Godmother Mary Ryan Lahy). Soon after (early 1860s) she married John Cavanaugh ( various spellings). John was the son of Denis and Catherine Cavanaugh - Cohoes. There were several Cavanaughs in West Troy and Cohoes and some Codys and Lahys lived near Cavanaughs in Cohoes.

John Cavanaugh was in the Civil War and died between 1865 and 1870, I assume in Cohoes. James and Margaret Brennan's daughter Maria lived with Ellen and son John in Cohoes 1875, prior to her marriage to John A. O'Brien (Menands). Ellen's son John was a shoe maker when he was quite young and then had saloons in Cohoes and Watervliet. Ellen moved back with the Brennans by 1900. My last record of her is 1913 when she lived with my grandparents (Dignum) in Menands. The directory says she was "removed", but does not give a destination. Son John F. left for New York about 1893, but returned at an unknown date prior to 1900.

There is no infomation on Ellen's marriage in the 1890 Civil War census records. I have never been able to find places or dates of death for either Ellen or her son John, although some individuals are a close, but incorrect matches. I have checked Vital Records and local cemeteries. My goal was to trace Ellen Cody or Margaret Lahy to a definite county in Ireland, but those early 1800s are a problem. I found one family in NYC in 1850 with a possible Ellen. Their Ellen is missing in the 1860 census. That family moved to Syracuse and someone posted them on Family Tree, but I never received a reply to my message.

Lynne

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

This thread: