From: "Andrea Sharp" <>
Subject: [NY-TROY-IRISH-GENSOC] Marrage records
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 14:22:58 -0500

I need some help in understanding marriage recording.

My question is regarding 2nd marriages back in the 1800. If a man was a
widower could he take a “wife” with out the legal or church marriage and
call a woman his wife?
Here is the situation.

Henry Banks to the US 1851 from Ireland, stayed in NYC until 1876 when he
came to Troy
Records show at that time he was married to Elizabeth Peckman (?spelling)
I have records of them having 4 children while in NYC, and show
Henry and Elizabeth buying the property on 15th street together in 1876.

Then in the 1900 census I have Henry with Annie McGowan, as wife with the
same 4 kids. I have no records of any burial for Elizabeth with all of the
Bank’s family being buried at St. Mary’s. The other strange thing is when
they list how long Henry and Annie had been married in the 1900 census they
listed 40 years, doing the math it does not work.

Help what do I do with this info? I am in the process of getting a list of
info to give to St. Francis’ Church so I can have some records of births and
marriages. I am just at a loss. Also, does anyone know if the church has
any death records assuming they had a Christian burial? Or any records of
first communion or confirmation and if they did what info could I get form
them and how far back would the church have such info?

Thanks,
Andrea

This thread: