From: Pat Connors <>
Subject: Re: [NY-TROY-IRISH-GENSOC] Hooley
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 13:05:18 -0800

Thanks David and Tim for replying to my message about Gilhooley versus
Hooley.

Recently I was in Ireland and searched the Tipperary RC records looking
for records of my O'Connor/Connors family. While I knew about all the
spellings for O'Connor (O'Conner, O'Connors, Conners, Connors, Conner,
Connor, etc.) and for Flanagan (Flanigan, Flannagan, Flannigan etc.), I
was amused to find the various ways the priests from one parish spelled
my family Gilhooly surname (Gooley, Ghilhooly, Gooly, Guilhooly,
Ghillooley).

I was hoping that maybe your Hooley was another variation but have since
checked my Ireland surname books and see they have distinctly different
origins. However, that doesn't mean your Hooley wasn't Gilhooley at
one point, maybe back in Ireland and then due to the accent and the fact
that many of our ancestors only knew Irish and not English, the names
got corrupted.

In searching the Griffith's Valuation on OriginsNetwork, I found no
Hooleys located in South Tipperary but 10 in North Tipperary, most from
Parkmore in Roscrea Civil Parish. When I search on Whooley, I get the
Hooleys mentioned. However, when I search on Gilhooly, they are only
located in South Tipperary, Tipperary RC parish, no doubt my family and
only two or three.

If you happen to have any godparents in Troy with Connors/O'Connor or
Flanagan, contact me.

Thanks again for your interest.

--
Pat Connors, Sacramento CA