Subject: [NY-TROY-IRISH-GENSOC] Marro,Grace,Suriano
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 08:24:56 EST

Friday September19, 2008 TroyRecord Article 100years agoSaturday Sept 19
1908
“The Troy Record reporter goes to Lansingburgh to write about the new half
million dollar upgrade is underway at the American Long Distance Telephone
Company which stands” on the brow of the hill east of the United Traction
company barns. He writes that a bevy of maidens sit in front of switchboards with
thousands of wires running into them. There are wires overhead and underfoot,
to the right and to the left, in front and one keeps looking back to dodge
those behind.He asks the manager if he has ever listened in to what was going
over the wire? ""I haven't "the manager replies.. Do the girls listen in?"
"No" says the manager "but sometimes you cant help hearing scraps of
conversation"."Tell me the scraps" the reporter asks. "Never,they're worth more to
me than my salary "the manager replies. "
Photo of the day Troy Record Friday September 19, 2008 1983 Theresa Marro,
Mary Ann Grace and Rosemary Suriano at St Mary’s Church in Troy.

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)

This thread: