From: "Richard Shea" <>
Subject: [NY-TROY-IRISH-GENSOC] Roll Call SHEA, DUNN, WALSH, FITZGERALD,CAVANAUGH and MCNULTY
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 01:49:20 -0500

As I replied to the email on Walsh/Canary i thought I might as well put
forth the other main Irish families in our lines.

SHEA Michael, son of Michael and Bridgit Carey, from Waterville, County
Kerry who went from there to Tralee to marry Bridget Dunn, dau of James Dunn
and Bridgit Rogers of Kildare City County Kildare on to Norwich, CT. There
he joined to 26th CT Inf Regt, lost and eye in MS and moved on to Troy, NY
after discharge. Children: who lived were Anne (Hannah) who married
Lawrence Cavanaugh of Newark, NJ, Timothy Michael who remained in Troy and
John Joseph, my grandfather, who also remained in Troy.
WALSH, Richard who married Mary Bridgit Fitzgerald, dau of Patrick and Alice
(?) from County Wexford as family lore tells me though I have no proof.
Children: Fr James Walsh served in Troy, Hudson and Chatham, NY, Margaret
who married John Joseph Shea, Sarah A.Walsh a schoolteacher, John Frederick
Walsh chief stenographer of Rens Co and personal secretary to presidential
candidate and Gov Alfred E. Smith and Mary F. Walsh another schoolteacher.
CAVANAUGH Michael the second Cavanaugh line in our family was my mothers
family. Michael came from Ireland to Providence, RI where he and his wife
Ann had Frank J who was my great-grandfather and the family moved to Troy to
work at the Iron works. Frank J married Mary Catherine McNulty (known by
Catherine) about 1889 and they had several children including my grandfather
also Francis Joseph Cavanaugh. Frank J. died 10/22/1896 during a semi-pro
football game where his neck was broken but lingered for about 6 weeks
before succumbing to pneumonia. Catherine , dau of Patrick and Sarah Midred
Gilliland McNulty was born 10/3/1864 in Ballina County Mayo.
Rick Shea

This thread: