From: "Bill & Cathy McGrath" <>
Subject: Re: [NY-TROY-IRISH-GENSOC] Late for the Roll Call (O'Brien, Daley)
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:02:27 -0500

Hello Joe O'Brien
Bremerton, Washington

As to your comment on your recent email about your grandfather Timothy and
his parents Maurice O'Brien and Ann Daley and the statement that something
happened in the 1860's.

The following material taking from the article "Tips on Genealogy Research
in Troy, NY) which is on the TIGS website www.rootsweb.com/~nytigs/ may be
of interest. As mentioned in the article some of these records are available
on-line. If your relatives died in this time period there is a good chance
you would find them on these Troy burial records.

Regards, Bill McGrath
Clifton Park, NY

TROY LIBRARY RECORDS
Other Microfilm Records - There is a large cabinet of microfilm records,
census records, etc., in the first floor Genealogy Reference Room. The most
important microfilm for researchers are the three rolls of microfilm on Troy
Deaths and Burials.

The three rolls of film in the library are:
a. Burial Records - March 1, 1833 - September 2, 1867
b. Burial Records - August 14, 1867 - June 27, 1882
c. Burial Records - June 8, 1882 - February 27, 1891.

If you are not in the Troy area and want to order the film on Troy Deaths
and Burials from Salt Lake City, the numbers required for ordering at your
local Family History Center are:

a. 1434103
b. 1434104
c. 1434105

The handwriting, for the most part, is beautiful to read but it may help to
have some idea of what you are looking for. For example I was looking for
my great grandmother Mary Carroll and her daughters Margaret and Catherine
who were on Ida Street in the 1880 census and then disappear from all
records.

The first record I found was "Wife of Mr. Carroll" on Ida Street who died on
March 11, 1881 of smallpox. The next record I found was "Child of Mr.
Carroll" who died in the Troy Hospital on March 15, 1881 of smallpox. Based
on the age shown for the child, I knew it was Margaret. I am still
searching for Catherine and assume she also died of smallpox. By the way,
no one in my family ever knew of the existence of Margaret and Catherine and
I only found out about them through the 1880 census records.

These Death and Burial records are an important reference for Troy
researchers since many of the entries predate the 1880 New York State law
requiring the reporting of deaths. Individuals who died outside of Troy are
listed IF they were buried in Troy.

Some years of these records are now available on line. Check out the
Rensselaer County NY Genweb site, coordinated by Lin Van Buren, for these
records as well as a fantastic amount of genealogy related information on
Rensselaer County. Address is: www.rootsweb.com/~nyrensse/

This thread: