OXFORDSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > OXFORDSHIRE > 1999-10 > 0940600595

From: "Sue Parsons" <>
Subject: Re: Hardwick House, Whitchurch
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 14:56:35 +0100

Dear Eric

The Hardwick Estate does, in fact, still exist and is owned by Sir Julian
Rose, and I believe his Mother is still alive. Sir Julian is quite well
known as he runs his farm on strictly organic principles and runs a farm
shop selling produce from the farm mainly beef and vegetables, and turkeys
at Christmas time. I believe he also sells lamb etc. but being a vegetarian
it is not quite my sphere. The entrance to the farm shop is at the Goring
Heath end of Path Hill which runs from Goring Heath to Whitchurch on Thames
and is a very narrow single track road. I believe the family are connected
to Rose's Marmalade. Until quite recently Sir Julian had a milk delivery
round for his non-pasturised milk until the government or the EC stepped in
and put a stop to it. There is also the Hardwick Stud which I believe used
to have connections with horse racing but I am not sure of its function now.
I can find out more if you wish, just let me know. The Estate is set in
beautiful countryside with many trees, mainly beech, which at this time of
year and just begining to change colour to a lovely golden bronze. The Stud
and House part of the Estate are on high ground overlooking the Thames
Valley above Pangbourne.

I lived at Woodcote which is circa 3 miles from Goring Heath until recently
and have walked the dogs on the Estate many times.

Regards

Sue
Ipsden, Oxon